Friday, August 19, 2011

The Hub Experiance

Wednesday I went to Shreveport ,La. to visit a non-profit group called The Hub.
How was my trip ? Tiring very very tiring. 

These people work! I got there at 8:00 am and my day didn't end until 9:00 pm.
Physically , they do a lot so without getting into long details here is a summary.

They do something everyday of the week accept Sundays but they do bring people to church if they want to go. They have a day center open 3 days a week where anyone can take a shower, do their laundry, have lunch , just hang out , watch some T.V. and just rest.

They also have events once a week at the park for low income families where they just talk to people and play with the kids. They have a dinner that a local church participates in and they hand out clothes and hygiene products.

One of my favorite things was lunch in The Asian Garden downtown where volunteers come on there lunch hour and bring an extra lunch to share with someone . Those are just a few events they have  but they  do so much more. For more information check out their site www.thehubministry.com

 But what they really do is LOVE people. Everything they do is based on faith and there love for the people they serve and they genuinely LOVE them.
Cassie has 5 full time staff members and they ALL share her heart .

They see past the way someone might look like ,smell like , or act like ,where they come from or where their going and they see their humanity. They love them right where they are.

The Hub is more than a building or a basement , its Jesus. Everyone who is helped by The Hub are not "clients" or numbers  their family.
The homeless ,the needy , the poor ,the troubled, the hurting, they are not tolerated but embraced. Their entire ministry is based on relationships. These are their friends. 

Four of their friends got housing recently and that doesn't happen overnight. Its a process that takes time and is an investment in their relationship. The Hub is in it for the long run . No quick fixes . Also listening to Cassie I can see they have tremendous favor with God and I love that they are totally Spirit lead and not government funded but God funded.

My Hub experience changed me. It gave me the confidence and faith to say to Lafayette , Louisiana" We can do better, we MUST do better." 
I am thankful to Cassie and her staff  Tina ,John, Taylor, and Caleb for their hospitality and for sharing their heart with me. The young definitely have something to teach the old.

If I could just scratch the surface of what The Hub is doing, here in Lafayette , I know it would be 100% better than it is now. But knowing me I could probably never settle for a scratched surface.

BTW This morning before I went to sort clothes at their clothes closet my phone beeped in with my daily bible verse.

I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said " It is more blessed to give than to receive.    - Acts 20:35


This is Robert. I met him at lunch this afternoon.
He is from a small country town , has a brother and sister and works with labor ready. He has never been to New Orleans but says he is definitely a Saints fan. WHODAT!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lori

    I'm so encouraged by that I was thinking this morning as I recall one of my prehomeless reckies trips to see where I might fit in and find help I called into to see a shelter the food was ok about 70 cents for a cooked breakfast and as much toast cereal fruit and tea or coffee that you can consumebut the surrounding are dire.
    I did smack of that'll do for them home people, we fed didnt we.
    Imagine if they had waiter service side plates table clothes napkins etc, and us homeless where made to feel like Kings and Queens instead of sewer rats desperate for a meal.

    ReplyDelete