Sunday, May 22, 2011

Prayers for Lilly

Y'all remember Cajun Lilly right? I saw her this morning briefly at the breakfast. She looked so tired and worn out like she hadn't slept all night. How much sleep can you get  in your car in the heat.
I told her I had to leave early to attend my sons graduation but that I would be around the parking lot to check on her. 
For those of you that don't know, Cajun Lilly is homeless . Lilly lives in her car in the parking lot of the men's shelter. This evening I went over there to check on her. She was sitting in the back seat of her car smoking a cigarette. They had two guys sleeping, one on the sidewalk and one on the cement bench.
Lilly walks up to the truck and says "I was waiten fuh ya, I'm wide awake cuz I slep all day."  I ask her how she is feeling , "Not to good cher not to good, dey suppose ta be waiten fuh my pepper work to go trew so I could git my lil house and Imma give dem til dis week den Imma a make a stink."  Lilly is a little bitty woman but she can be a  firecracker. 
" Is anyone following up on you  and do they know you are sleeping out here?" I asked " Yeah dey know butchu da only one comes see bout me." Lilly replied. That PISSES ME OFF! Lilly has C.O.P.D. she has to be able to take her breathing treatments and should be on oxygen 24hrs a day. Her Doctor has written several notes to the people who are suppose to be helping Lilly find housing that she needs to have these treatments and oxygen which really isn't very convenient when YOU ARE LIVING IN YOUR FRICKIN CAR!!
Now they are telling her they need proof she is living in her car in the parking lot. To let you in on how insane this  really is, the building that is assisting her with finding housing, is in FRONT of the men's shelter parking lot. I KNOW RIGHT? She has been there for a month and the people running the men's shelter see her there everyday . I cannot wrap my brain around this. I know if something doesn't happen she is going to fall through the cracks  and she will die before they find her housing. If you are from Louisiana you know how hot and humid it gets in the summer and she definitely can't keep oxygen in a hot car and for  a person with C.O.P.D. the heat is a nightmare. WTH so every single day you see a woman sleeping in her car and every one's OK with that? Its not OK with me and I so sick of people telling me I have to separate work from home. Seriously? And my all time favorite "You can't save everyone" well I'm sure as hell gonna  try because if others would step up and do there part, ESPECIALLY the church, than maybe I wouldn't feel like I have to take it all on. 
Where would we be if Jesus didn't take his work home with Him ? Oh wait... What home? That's right He didn't have a home. Jesus took His work with Him wherever He went. He carried it, His heart was burdened for it, He was passionate about His ministry. Jesus didn't hang it up at 5 o'clock and call it a day. Jesus didn't drop me at the door He took me with Him. Before He went to sleep it was me He was praying for , as He closed his eyes to rest it was me He was thinking of. I have a heart for Lilly and I care about what happens to her. Damn right I'm taking that home because if I don't than i will be just another self proclaiming believer fueling the inevitable fire of apathy.Well screw that! I am asking that you take a moment and purposefully and intentionally pray for my friend Lilly. Prayer cost nothing but a few moments of your time. I know not everyone can do everything but everybody can DO something!

P.S. If this post offended you in anyway please feel free to post a comment and I will be more than happy to accept your apology!

No comments:

Post a Comment