Saturday, May 7, 2011

Petes Pen

This morning was one of the most humbling experiences with the breakfast thus far. Many more people showed up,  so many wonderful things happened this morning I can't wait to tell you about it and I will. But , this cannot wait. Pete  has come only twice, came  to me and handed me a piece of paper and asked that when I had time if I would read it. After the breakfast  he was still waiting for us to close up,  I sat down with him and pulled the paper he gave me out of my back pocket  and when I looked I realized it was a poem he had written for me,for our volunteers,for servnLOVE.This is what it said:


"The Well" When you walk in the door your not alone in the streets.


The well serves hot food to the homeless
Here's a story of the crew led by Lori
They received a message from God
There lives are  in the light of Gods glory


There all blessed by the Lord
and they are selfless to others
and are all from one God 
That makes us sisters and brothers


We've only crossed paths once in this life
I may never see them again
I mean the flesh life we live
Not the eternal life in heaven


When you walk through the door
You can feel the love they all smile
"Make yourself right at home
we'll serve you food in a while"


There attentive to all
They lift a mans self esteem
There a blessing to all
There on the Lords team


The plate that they served me
Killed the hunger,my need
They say just thank the Lord
To all that they feed


They'll say " Now that your full
would you like a shirt for your back
Please take whatever you need
we have new clothes on the rack."


And if your in need of an ear
To get some weight off your chest
They will help lift the load
They will give it there best


I know when I walked through the door
I was blessed in so many ways
I pray the lord them right here
For many years ,many days.


-Pete Martinez


Again just re-reading it I am overwhelmed with emotion because I know that this poem was written with Pete's pen through Gods heart.
Pete shared his heart and I am overwhelmed with grattitude that he took the time to write that poem in the midst of his trials and circumstances to give thanks. Not just to us but he recognizes that it is God who is feeding him.  I believe the  poem was also God letting us know that we were on the right path and making a difference. God is telling me that while I have their back, He has mine.  Everyone deserves to be loved and let me tell you something people, love makes a difference ,love restores dignity,love brings change, love covers and without a doubt love WORKS! Without love you cannot BE Jesus to people.



No comments:

Post a Comment