Friday, April 8, 2011

The Poor are Truly Rich

Question: Why is it my responsibility to help the homeless
Answer  : ‘If one of your brethren becomes poor, and falls into poverty among you, then you shall help him, like a stranger or a sojourner, that he may live with you.
Lev25:35

I have never struggled with loving the poor,the hurting,the afflicted and addicted.
I have however struggled with people who do . To truly love the way Jesus loves, requires us to allow Him to love through us. 
I can't ask God to let me love like Jesus and then pick and choose who I am going to love. Its easy to love people who are the same as you,that do what you do and like what you like.To love like Jesus you have to love deep ,looking past the surface and see people finished.
I love poor people. I love homeless people and so does God. 
I love that the poor are always the first ones to give and there the most generous and that doesn't surprise me.

The poor and needy appreciate the little things, they don't waste and they don't take things for granted like a clean pair of socks.
Right now we are living in a world full of uncertainty. In a time when we don't know what disaster will come next or what tragedy will befall us. We are living in trying times even as I write this I don't know whether my Government will or won't shut down tomorrow.

But I can't help but think that the poor are going to come out on top. The wealthy and other unsuspecting people could loose there income and may very well be facing some of the same hardships as the poor and many will undoubtedly be homeless and lets face it the poor and needy are better prepared.
 They won't sweat it, they won't panic, they already know how to survive. Poor people come by faith so much easier. After everything they have been through they have such a need and desire for hope. Jesus is that hope and the way they get to SEE Jesus is through those of us who choose to love like Him.

I see Jesus in people everyday. I see Jesus in my circle of sisters who love each other and meet one an others needs on a daily basis.
I see Jesus in Shane and Shay of project 50/50 who are not only poor ON purpose but poor WITH a purpose.
"There is one who makes himself rich, yet has nothing; And one who makes himself poor, yet has great riches." - Proverbs 13:7

Love when its not easy, love when it costs, love when it hurts. That's where the Jesus love is.
Bottom line: The rich and the poor have this in common,The LORD is the maker of them all. - Proverbs 22:2
       


1 comment: