Monday, August 16, 2010

Sticks and Stones

Today my son told me that people he once respected had said about him that he wasn't good enough for his girlfriend. They also said he dressed like a thug, had no ambition,was a negative influence and wasn't good enough to be with her and mentioned he needs to get a job. The truth is he does wear baggy pants, a t- shirt and sneakers now whether that qualifies him as a thug or not I don't know we would have to ask the thug police. He does have trouble trying new things to be interested in and he doesn't have a job. He doesn't have a job because the places he applied would rather him be 18 instead of 17 for liability reasons. My son will be graduating this year and does have a plan after graduation pertaining to his future. Now as far as him not being "good enough" this is what I told him. I said they are absolutely right. You are not good enough ,none of us are but we are LOVED enough to die for. Why do we have this preconceived idea of what we think are good standards for our children when most of us can't even set a good example for them to follow much less set good standards. We should be setting Gods standards! Some of my sons character qualities include loyalty, faithfulness, selflessness and wisdom. If he died tonight and stood before the Lord do you think they would be discussing his wardrobe and his intentions on doing a followup at ChuckyCheese? Or do you think they would be discussing his heart?Now does character pay the bills? Maybe not but the character of Christ is worth more than a paycheck. Right now I am more focused and concerned about his relationship with God than I am about him having a job to support a wife he doesn't have. My desire and prayer for my son is to partake in his relationship with God and graduate from high school . As a mother I want to be angry and offended bc my child was hurt but I know that it is how I respond that God will use me to show my son that your self worth doesn't come from man but from God . " I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made"....Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment